Recently one of our competitors decided to discontinue the locally hosted version of his RV Park software. He is only going to support and offer the cloud version of his product. It will only run on the internet. Here at Mission Management we offer both products and will continue to into the future. We have the cloud based product and the locally hosted legacy product. We encourage people to use the system that is right for your operation. So feeling a bit like a salmon swimming upstream here are my top 5 reasons not to move to the cloud:
- Your internet goes down a lot. Even though I equate that to your power going out, if you do not have good reliable internet, cloud computing is not for you. Makes it difficult to use your RV Park/campground software.
- Your internet is too slow. If you have a long line up of people on a Friday night the last thing you want is to have your system slow down and not perform. Maybe perform a speed test to see if your system is at least 1 mps on the upload. Anything between 3-5 mb on the download will work for us.
- Your brother in law is your IT hardware consultant. You can laugh but if you have someone you trust and has looked after your hardware all these years maybe there is no need to move to the cloud.
- You want to have hands on control of your data, your backups and your system. This is just the way it is for some people and there is nothing wrong with that as long as they backup offsite everyday and have a good universal power supply if the power goes out.
- Last but not least, if you run a myriad of programs on your system you might find it too confusing to have some on the cloud and some on the local hard drive. Not really a big deal however some people might find this confusing.
So if you are one of these people, don’t fret. It is Ok to still have a locally hosted version of your “mission critical” software such as Campground Manager Software@/ BookYourSite™ for your online bookings and property management. You are not a information systems pariah! it is just that cloud computing is not working for you at this point. It might in the future however today it is not.